Wild Parrots

There is a flock of feral parrots that roams the Telegraph Hill/Embarcadero area in San Francisco. They have been around for decades and are rumored to be descended from escaped pets. They are Cherry-headed Conures native to Peru and Ecuador. I see them quite often near my office when I am working downtown. Tom and I recently saw them in the Embarcadero and again in North Beach while having a drink at Mario's. You do not know they are near until you hear their distinctive, high-pitched squawking, which erupts right before they begin flying. I love them. (Maybe because I like red-heads??). There is a documentary about them and an SF musician who fed and took care of them.

http://www.wildparrotsfilm.com/



(Image from mentalfloss.com)

Comments

  1. The movie is the Wild Birds of Telegraph Hill. Gerrie Zhang told me about it. You should rent it--it is really interesting! Looks like an amazingly awesome and fun place to live!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I rented the movie from Netflix. It was great! Each bird had it's own little personality.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts