Ship Tour

Yesterday, we got an up close and personal look at the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6) Amphibious Assault Ship.




I didn't know what to expect when we went on board since I have never been on a military ship. It was much better than I imagined. We were allowed to walk around the belly and the deck, and explore the tanks, jeeps, helicopters, weapons, and more.

Tom in front of an armored personnel carrier.


Me in a high mobility artillery rocket system,


flipping the "fire" switch.


Me with a bunch of marines.


On the upper deck, I got to sit in the CH-53E Super Stallion, whose mission is to support the Marine Air Ground Task Force Commander by providing assault support transport of heavy equipment, combat troops, and supplies.






Tom toured a CH-46 personnel and cargo helicopter.



We saw an Osprey, which can take off vertically and then adjust its wings to fly horizontally.


This Harrier jet can also take off vertically.


At the Cobra attack helicopter, Vengeance, I sampled some of the gear.




I then tried out some of the weaponry. Maybe I missed my true calling!

Me with a carbine sniper rifle



and an M-19 grenade launcher.



Finally, we checked out the light armored vehicles



and a reconnaissance drone.


On the way out, we spied a security detail, keeping the ship safe.


After we deboarded,


we had a nice, greasy breakfast at Red's Java House.



We had an entertaining morning as tourists at the military enthusiasts' amusement park.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts